Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: disallow freemail

From: Endre.Szekely-Bencedi () hu-tcs com
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:24:34 +0100

We're using SmartFilter, it has some 'categories' of sites, also freemails.
You can also add custom sites if you want, small, obscure freemail
services.

----- Forwarded by Endre Szekely-Bencedi/TM/TCSHUNGARY/TCS on 02/27/2004
01:44 AM -----

                    "steve"

                    <securityfocus@dela        To:     "haji din" <ahbh99 () yahoo com>, <security-basics ()
securityfocus com>
                    hunty.com>                 cc:

                                               Subject:     Re: disallow freemail

                    02/26/2004 09:22 PM

                    Please respond to

                    "steve"

We don't block it, but we are looking at doing so.

I know companies that block any site with the text "mail" in the URL.

There are threats from freemail, the biggest one you noted, but also the
work distraction factor.

There are appliances that can check POP and HTTP based email traffic.