Security Basics mailing list archives

Interesting publications

From: "Gideon T. Rasmussen, CISSP, CISM, CFSO, SCSA" <lists () infostruct net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:30:43 -0500

I recently came across the "Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Handbook" and the "The Transformation of Terrorism" (406 and 82 pages, respectively). Both are freely available in pdf format from the Comprehensive Risk Analysis and Management Network (CRN) web site (http://www.isn.ethz.ch/crn). I have included below the forward from the CIIP Handbook.

Kind regards,

Gideon

Gideon T. Rasmussen
CISSP, CISM, CFSO, SCSA
Boca Raton, FL
gideon () infostruct net

National Security Awareness Day - September 10, 2004 - Are you aware?

CIIP Handbook 2004

One of the most important lessons we can all learn about Critical Information Infrastructure Protection can be summarised in one word – interdependency.

We depend on our systems and networks. We depend on our staff. But, most importantly as professionals, we depend on each other. And that’s why information-sharing is the key to the success of all our endeavours around the world.

At the National Infrastructure Security Co-ordination Centre (NISCC) for instance, we have developed a warning and alert system that highlights the latest vulnerabilities, and we also have a policy of ensuring responsible disclosure at the appropriate time.

This has only been possible by building trusted relationships right across the various sectors of our Critical National Infrastructure (CNI). We have also been able to enhance this work by conducting our own research – actively looking for problems before they arise. We already have strong international links. NISCC is an outward facing organization. My people have built effective working partnerships across the globe.

I am therefore delighted to support the second edition of the International CIIP Handbook and I would commend it to your libraries. In some circles it is regarded as the ‘bible’ in its field. I have seen it referred to in research work. Among many CNI professionals, it is considered essential reading, providing an invaluable guide to the international scene.

Whether you view CIIP from government, academia, or the private sector, it has something to offer.

Before closing, I’d like to mention that NISCC is currently developing an International CIIP Directory, based on G8 CIIP Experts’ initiative. It will be linked to the Handbook. For more details please email ciip-directory () niscc gov uk

Stephen Cummings, Director NISCC