Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Cisco VPN Client - Stateful Firewall

From: "Rosenhan, David" <David.Rosenhan () swiftbrands com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:40:56 -0700

I understand the Docs, but you have to look at the reality of it.  I
have the VPN client installed, when I check the statefull firewall I
can't do anything, even outbound connections from my laptop even if I am
not running the VPN client and I don't have a tunnel established.  I
know what the docs say but you fail to mention the bugs with the
statefull firewall.

We ran into this bug all the time, mostly this bug is listed as internal
to Cisco so you may not even see it on the Bug tool.

In conclusion, don't use the statefull firewall, buy a third party
firewall or download the free Zone Alarm firewall, it has more options,
you can configure it and on top of that it works with policies pushed to
it from a Cisco VPN concentrator.

Thanks!!

David Rosenhan, CCNP
Information Technology