Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Seeking views on importance of certification

From: "Steve" <securityfocus () delahunty com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:44:34 -0500

I work with the Network Professional Association and this issue of the value
of certs often comes up.  I think their policy statement provides some good
insights.  I hope this helps.

The Network Professional Association (NPA) position statement on Training,
Education, and Certification.

The NPA is deeply involved with the ongoing continuous process of working
with education, media and vendor partners to define the discipline of
Network Computing and the Network Professional of the future. We believe
that there is value to many vendor certifications, especially if the
individual works in environments with the specific technologies that are
offering the certifications. But the NPA also believes strongly that there
are other areas of education and skill development that are important for
the Network Professional to be well-rounded and ready for the current and
future directions of the IT industry. One of the NPA's key initiatives is to
help define the different paths available to Network Professionals and the
recommended mix of undergraduate, graduate, technical and continuing
education; along with vendor specific and vendor-neutral certifications and
real world experience.