Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Securing webmail - changing a port necessary to ensure securi ty?

From: "Barrett, Will" <Will.Barrett () trippak com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:23:21 -0700

I've set this up for a couple of companies and consulted for a few more that
had it, and my experience has been that there is no real benefit to changing
to an uncommon port, and in cases where they did, it was more of an
inconvenience for offsite employees.  But judging from your question, I
think you already knew that.
If you do want to add security to it, put it behind a VPN connection.  And
get a consultant that knows that security through obscurity isn't.

-WTB