Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Looking Propositions for possible research project in IT-Security

From: Patrick Benson <benson () chello se>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:24:57 +0100

Erich Buri wrote:

Hello everybody,

At the time i'm a student at the University of applied sciences in Biel
(Switzerland). During our last year we all have to a project work in
groups of two people which will end in a diploma project.

No I'm looking for a Topic/Subject and since i'm very intressted in
IT-Security and Linux i thought it might be a good idea to ask hear for
on this list for propositions.

Usally people do some research on a specific topic during the last year,
which will end in a plan for a certain project that is going to be
realised as graduation during 8 weeks.

E.g: IPSec implementation for 16-Bit microprocessor (done last year by
two students from our school: http://www.hta-bi.bfh.ch/Projects/ipsec/)

I would like to do something based on Linux or Embedded Linux. I was,
for example, thinking about a software-package which combines firewall-,
routeing- and VPN- (for WLAN) Configuration for a home- or
small-business-network. Aimed to ease the task of securing
small-networks. All served as Debian Package for a small PC or an
embedded-device.

So if someone has a good idea, i would be glad to hear about it.

Thanks in advance!

erich

Erich,

If you're searching for an embedded firewall appliance based on Linux
and Debian you may want to take a look at the Leaf project, the
successor of the Linux Router Project:

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

Images are based on the 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels, support for ethernet,
xDSL, serial and wireless, they can be booted from floppies and CD's.
Numerous features are included such as ipchains/iptables-Netfilter, the
djbdns suite for DNS, OpenSSH, traffic shaping, OpenVPN, IPSec, among
others. The most up-to-date are Bering and Bering-uClibc.

--
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!