Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Messenger Pop-up spam

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 05:29:16 -0800

  Messenger is a tiny tiny TINY component of Windows File Sharing /
NetBIOS.  IF an attacker can get a Messenger window to pop up on your
screen, then you have a HUGE area of vulnerable services exposed to
the internet.  Services which you may very often REQUIRE to use LAN
resources, but never need to use either TO or FROM the Internet.

  Turning off those services entirely is rarely an option.  Turning off
only the Messenger component still leaves you exposed.

  Blocking those ports at the perimeter allows you to still use the services
you need to connect to local resources -- that might include local use of
the Messenger service, by the way! -- but protects you from Internet abusers
of that whole family of services.  Including, but not just limited to, the
Messenger service.

  I agree that most home users don't need the Messenger service, and can
free up some resources by turning it off.  But anyone who is adequately
protected from the much larger range of threats won't see it abused, and
anyone who sees it abused needs to understand that that means they're
vulnerable to that much larger range, most of which they will STILL be
vulnerable to if they turn off the Messenger service.

  "Turn off services you don't need" is usually a good rule.  But in this
particular case, the REAL "service" is the whole NetBIOS/CIFS family, not
just the Messenger component, and turning it off at that level tends to
break all sorts of things.  So you have to fall back on the alternative:
"Harden/protect the services you DO need".

David Gillett