Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Access to Non-domain computers

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:57:55 -0500

It is trivial to change your mac address on your NIC.  You can do it through
ifconfig in linux/unix and while it is a bit more work in Win2K or WinXP the
following site gives you a step by step.  I seem to remember a simpler way
to do it but cant remember it off hand

The simpler way on Win2K/XP boxes is through a program called SMAC:
 - http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/

Quote from the site:

" SMAC  is a MAC Address Modifying Utility (spoofer) for Windows 2000,
XP, and Server 2003 systems, regardless of whether the manufactures
allow this option or not.

"With over 200,000 downloads, SMAC has been proven to be the most
powerful, stable, yet easy-to-use, and #1 in this category.  SMAC has
been in the news and several major tool libraries.

"SMAC is the first Windows MAC Address Modifying Utility (1/2003), and
it is developed by CISSP, CISA, MCSE and professional software
engineers, with extensive research from KLC Consulting.

"SMAC is a MUST-HAVE TOOL for IT, Security, Networking professionals,
gamers, and everyone who needs a MAC Addresses Changer."

--
Peace .~G

:So, now I am "just curious" about how to lie a MAC to get thought a MAC
:access list barrier...
:
:Could you give a proof-of-concept description on this matter ?
:

All you need to do is change the address to one that is recognized by the
ACL.

It is trivial to change your mac address on your NIC.  You can do it through
ifconfig in linux/unix and while it is a bit more work in Win2K or WinXP the
following site gives you a step by step.  I seem to remember a simpler way
to do it but cant remember it off hand

http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

Raoul