Security Basics mailing list archives

Fedora 3 Wireless Promiscuous (Monitor) Mode

From: TStark <stark.ironman () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:01:07 -0500

Hello,

I have configured a Orinoco Gold wireless card on Fedora 3, to watch
all traffic on access points. The result of the iwpriv command shows
monitor mode as

<snip>
monitor (8BE8) : set 2 int & get 0
</snip>

from the docs I have read, if the monitor mode shows in the list from
the iwpriv command then the card is in Promiscuous (monitor) mode.

The issue I am having is that when using Kismet or Ethereal all I get
is ARPs and IEEE 8-2. Probe Requests, I never see any actual traffic.
What can I do to actually capture any and all traffic that is seen by
the wireless card?

Thank you!

Tony