Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hidden windows ports, files and services.

From: "Justin Acquaro" <JAcquaro () csmcorp com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:13:57 -0500

Hey Mark,
        Hidden Files:
                I was able to list the directory structure under
RECYCLER in windows XP SP2 by going to TOOLS --> Folder Options --> View
and un-checking "Hide protected operating system files". This should
also apply for IE's cache.

        Hidden Processes:
                If you can't see the port on the local machine it might
be the work of a root kit of some sort. (rootkit.com) they have a lot of
information about NT root kits both discovering and creating. I would
boot to safe mode where you are running the absolute bare minimum and
check your startup methods to see if there is anything suspicious

Justin