Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Integer & Heap overflows?

From: Ron <iago () valhallalegends com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:53:43 -0600

The book "Hacking: Art of Exploitation" (ISBN: 1593270070) goes into heap overflows, including an example of how to create a root account using a simple one. He also describes shellcode, stack overflows, and format string vulnerabilities, among many other things. Definately a very good read, highly recommended.

There is a paper on www.phrack.org (one of the last couple issues) that describes Integer overflows in excrutiating details.

Off-by-one, I'm not sure where you can find any information, but all that means is that a program is reading past the end of a list because they start at 1 instead of 0 or vice versa. I don't know much about exploiting it, though, sorry I can't help you there.

If you want a quick definition of Heap overflows, all it means is that you read or write past the end of allocated memory into another piece of allocated memory, belonging to a different variable. That's all it is.

Loptr Chaote wrote:

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone have good papers/websites lying around
describing how Integer overflows and Heap overflows (and also the
"off-by-one"[?] bug, if that is not the same as integer overflow).

I have found several good ones on stack smashing/regular buffer
overflows, but very little on the above mentioned.

Best regards
Loptr Chaote