Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Vpn concentrator - health care client

From: Shawn Wall <sjwall () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:31:01 -0700

Typically the VPN Concentrator is deployed in parallel with a firewall.
Opening ports in your firewall should be avoided when possible. If you are
going to use the concentrator anyway, deploy it outside the firewall.

Alternatively, you could use the 501 to host a VPN. Remote users can
establish a VPN connection and conncet to the web app. The issue with this
is that the remote users will require the Cisco VPN client. Also is the
trust in remote clients, i.e. Do they have antivirus, usage policies, etc.
The VPN Concentrator overcomes those issues since it creates a clientless
SSL VPN and does not expose the internal network.

Shawn