Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: [Maybe Spam] Spyware Adware URL lists

From: Chris Santerre <csanterre () MerchantsOverseas com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:19:55 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: SMiller () unimin com [mailto:SMiller () unimin com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 9:41 AM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: [Maybe Spam] Spyware Adware URL lists

Spybot Search & Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.net)
maintains such a
list as part of their free anti-spyware product.  It is intended to be
incorporated into Windows hosts or lmhosts files and resolve
qdn for such
sites to 127.0.0.0.  Since it is a plain text file, using it
in another way
should be fairly trivial.

Which is what I do here. During login scripts, users get force fed a hosts
file with this stuff in it. Why? Because my squid proxy has been sitting in
my office for over a year waiting for me to get back to it :)

The ONLY person to EVER complain about this...... the president of the
company. :/

I told him tough poopie. He is only the president,.... I'm the sysadmin! :-P

--Chris