Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Export list of usernames WinNT and Win2K servers

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 10 Dec 2004 12:35:50 -0000

In Linux/Unix you can less the passwd file and get a list of all the users
their usernames etc and have it be a regular text file.  I would like to
know if there is some way to get something similar for Windows servers.

I'm sure most folks are expecting my response to be something that has to do with Perl, but I'll spare you that at this
point and recommend that you look here:

http://www.systemtools.com/free_frame.htm

Specifically, NetUser and DumpSec would be of interest to you.  I mentioned the use of NetUser in chapter 5 of my book,
"Windows Forensics and Incident Recovery".

H. Carvey
"Windows Forensics and Incident Recovery"
http://www.windows-ir.com
http://windowsir.blogspot.com

PS:  ...and yes, in Perl, I'd use the Win32::Lanman module to dump a list of user names...unless all of the NT systems
have the WMI classes installed...