Security Basics mailing list archives

vnc through ssh for windows

From: NoSpam <nospam () dranem org>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:37:39 -0400

Michael Puchol wrote:

Hi,

Just make sure you are talking about the Enterprise version of RealVNC,
which does have AES, and authentication of server and viewer. The standard
VNC protocol is non-encrypted, and the password security is laughable. In
TightVNC implementations you type a password over 8 characters at the server
configuration, and you are nicely reminded that only the first 8 characters
will be used anyway.

I run TightVNC over SSH2, which benefits from the extra compression the
tunnel provides. I use strong auth at the SSH2 stage, with other filtering
added at lower layers, so it's pretty safe that way.

Best regards,

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephane Auger" <stephaneauger () pre2post com>