Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Traffic Monitor

From: "Bunting, Bob" <bbunting () fyinm org>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 18:22:01 -0600

I'm curious if anyone knows of any software Windows or Linux that can
monitor all traffic going out of the network, particularly any unusual
traffic. I had a computer infected with a mass mailing program that sent
out
enough traffic to lock up my firewall the other day, which is also the
firewall for all our web/mail/app servers. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

An alternative that would solve the problem is to implement egress filtering on the firewall and log every hit on the
ACL used to do the egress filtering.  That way, you would keep your system from being abused by many of the current
worms that carry their own SMTP engines and similar exploits and you would have a way of identifying machines that
require further investigation.  Of course, Snort will look deeper and tell you more and you should use it.  An IDS is
exactly what you are asking about in your post and Snort will run on either Windows or Linux.  But an egress filter is
a better place to start for the problem you experienced.

Bob Bunting, PhD, CISSP, CCNA, Net+, MCP
Director of Information Systems
Families and Youth Inc.

This message and any accompanying documents are intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or employee or agent responsible
for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of the
communication is strictly prohibited. All personal messages express views
solely of the sender, which are not to be attributed to Families and Youth
Inc. or any of its affiliated organizations, and may not be distributed without
this disclaimer. If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately at postmaster () fyinm org.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html