Security Basics mailing list archives

new AD domain how to copy user profiles/data?

From: Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:13:30 +1000

Hi, I have a new AD domain setup and wanted to migrate user profiles/files
etc from the old NT domain/old server to the new server/AD domain.
I used the copy profile feature in Xp pro.

What has happened however is that for users who are power users on their
local machine there is a new profile which seems to be pushed from the
server. If I give them admin rights locally then they have the copy of the
old profile. When I set them back to power user they cannot open access
files and also it does not seem to recognize the fact that their profile has
all the files it says it is missing.

When they have local admin rights then I can copy outlook express files ect
fine and then open them up fine too. But take away admin rights and then
even the user interface looks kind of win2003 and the start menu is a bit
empty.

I think I need to find where the profiles are created edited etc on the new
server but don't know where.
I was going real nice until this point!

TIA

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html