Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Minimum password requirements

From: "Mike" <mike () coenholdings ie>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:39:14 +0100

Sorry if this subject has been flogged to death, but a recent example
from one of my own users:

User A is off work and calls in and asks colleague, user B to access her
email and supplies domain password (it doesn't matter how many times you
tell them not to tell anyone their password, they still do). User A has
internet access for business user B does not (it is hard enough to get
her to work at the best of times). User B surfs internet until user A is
forced to change password after 1 week (passwords rotate every 30 days).
As internet usage is only checked monthly (there are few problems) no
alarm bells sound until user B tries to use User A login and is booted
out for wrong user password combi and it shows up in logs.

Result: User A has sheepish conversation with IT Dept on importance of
not revealing passwords and ticking off from management.

Regards
Mike Molloy
IT Supervisor