Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Information Rights Management

From: "steve" <securityfocus () delahunty com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:55:57 -0400

A related article:
http://www.businessweek.com/cgi-bin/register/archive.cgi?c=&y=04&w=16&h=b3879047.htm
Don't Let Word Give Away Your Secrets
April 19, 2004 | Technology & You -- Hidden data can reveal too much about a
document's murky past

Check out http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp  to be able to
print to PDF.

Take a look at http://www.rightsmarket.com for a product that does basically
what you are asking about below.

Here is the policy we drafted where I work:

Document Development and Release Policy

Background. Microsoft Office®/Microsoft Word® (.doc) is clearly the most
productive <insert company name> application for developing, updating,
editing, and otherwise manipulating <insert company name> documents.
However, if those documents are released to non-<insert company name>
personnel (e.g. vendor or public), some risks may arise. Those risks entail
an audit trail from document creation to final product that potentially
includes the personnel involved in the document development, dates of
origination and change, and accepted/rejected edits. Certain version
information and editor details are still retrievable even if all edits have
been accepted in a document, so accepting all edits is not enough
protection. While seemingly harmless, this does expose some risk on <insert
company name>'s behalf.

Examples. It is likely that <insert company name> would not want others to
know that <insert company name> used a template from another organization,
since it would appear as if the other organization authored the <insert
company name> document. <insert company name> may not want others to know
who was involved in editing a document, parties editing within <insert
company name> and outside. A common mistake when accepting edits is to
assume that the document is clean for distribution when in fact Comments
that were inserted are not removed.

Policy. Given this risk, all <insert company name> documents released to
third parties should be converted into Adobe Acrobat® (.pdf) format. With a
simple utility installed, <insert company name> staff can easily convert a
Word® document into an Acrobat® file or vice versa for any necessary
changes. <insert company name> staff can utilize the utility to convert
anything that can be printed into a Acrobat® file. Receiving parties can
download and use the Acrobat® Reader free of charge from the Adobe website.

Exceptions. In certain cases <insert company name> may wish to collaborate
on Microsoft Word® documents with outside parties. In extreme cases <insert
company name> may wish to leave revision checking intact for certain
reasons. In other cases where Microsoft Word® documents need to be sent to
outside parties, the <insert company name> sender should remove the edits
and hidden data fully by using the Remove Hidden Data add-in of Microsoft
Office.

Implementation. <insert company name> IT has provided both an Adobe Acrobat®
writer utility and the Remove Hidden Data add-in of Microsoft Office. For
information or assistance with using either of those applications please
contact the <insert company name> helpdesk.