Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Looking for a good protocol analyzer or network sniffer

From: Chris McCulloh <chrislist () sinetimore com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:20:46 -0500

Fri, 2 Apr 04 09:45:35 "Giddens, Robert" <GiddensRobert () bfusa com> said:
I am currently in the market for a good network analysis tool or
protocol analyzer for the network that I manage.  I currently use
Ethereal but want something more GUI based with better capabilities.

stuff so I think my budget will keep me in the 100 Meg area.  I do have

We have recently been looking into some of the various devices on the
market from Fluke Networks (http://www.flukenetworks.com), and I have to
say I'm somewhat impressed by their offerings.  Just went to a half-day
presentation by them the other day, and we're now considering deploying
some of their tools within one of our major clients.

Unfortunately, some things can be pricey, and I'm not sure what your
budget is.  And more specifically, what exactly are your needs?

If you have the budget for it, SuperAgent is pretty damned cool.
Especially with the ability to have remote agents at remote locations and
the statistics centrally maintained.  Lower on the budget scale, they've
got Workgroup Analyzers which are more local devices that analyze network
traffic with detailed protocol analyses.

Take a look at what they've got to offer...

-chris

--
Chris McCulloh
Secure Systems Architect

  e: cmcculloh () sinetimore com
  t: 212.504.0288
  f: 212.656.1469
  w: http://www.sinetimore.com
  a: 40 Broad Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10004, USA
key: http://www.sinetimore.com/chriskey.pub
   : [ 9508 07E0 9E6C DD05 4419 40FA 4D96 FD82 24CE 0273 ]