Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Requesting info: VPN solution

From: "Henry, Christopher M." <chenry () radiologycorp com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:18:42 -0500

If you just want to connect two offices via a VPN, the best choice would
be to stick a cisco 1751 at each location. These routers have VPN
accelerator cards so you would not have to worry about a performance
hit. You will have a lot of options with these routers to connect the
sites.

1. You can set up a tunnel interfaces and run ospf if you want both
sites to share routes.
2. You can set up an ipsec tunnel from site A to site B if want to
restrict access to the networks.

Its pretty simple and it is a lot easier than maintaining a linux box
with FreeS/Wan or SuperFreeS/Wan, but of course the cost is a bit high
for the routers. Or if you already have cisco routers at both site just
load the correct IOS on them!

Chris