Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure host newbie - fun

From: Simon Lemieux <lemieuxs () ca inter net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:28:25 -0500

i'd venture to say ... 95% of security is just people management ...
and 5% is implementing a techie solution

reading is good ..but should be 5% of your time ... and even better, go to informal security meetings ( user group meetings )

- you cannot make it too strict to restrict productivity
- you cannot leave it wide open so tom-dick-n-harry can see break into
  hr's salary PC and repost everybody's salary and benefits

- who is gonna get fired when a security breach occurs ???

- 90% of all security issues is internal ... not from outside the internet

.. on and on .. fun stuff
knowing what is important and what is NOT is something that will be different
for each environment you're trying to secure

- i start from ..
        i assume a [cr/h]acker has root access in your firewall ... now protect your
        network and machines or whatever your "job" is

        - if you're comfortable .. than you're reasonably confident of what you're
        doing and what the [cr/h]acker can do to your other boxes and data

        i disallow laptops, i disallow dhcp, i disallow wireless, ...
        in addition to disallowing ftp/telnet/ppp/vpn/...

        - and others disallow cell phones ( with or without pic sending capabilities )

        - and at a minimum... have 3 different backup servers of your important data

Thank you for your guidelines, though I fear they will not affect me since I'm alone with my best friend in this business... and he knows nothing about linux and network. All I have to fear comes from the internet.

Thanks,
  Simon

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html