Security Basics mailing list archives

need advice for capturing connection attempt details

From: Robert Judy <rjudy () sfasu edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:55:20 -0500

Greetings,

I am about to put a Windows XP Pro based Dell laptop into a wireless network for the first time.

I would like to be able to capture details of the transactions that occur when the computer is introduced in to the wireless environment.

I need some guidance in what software is available that will allow incoming and outgoing communications to proceed in a "normal" fashion but prevent my machine from being compromised to the extent that some or all of the captured information is lost.

I would like freeware (please finish laughing before you reply.)

I am on a "fishing" expedition, as you can tell. I am authorized to do this. I can protect my computer via firewall and various other methods so protection is not the issue, information gathering is the objective.

I can sacrifice the machine if necessary (using a disk image to quickly restore it) but fear that I would loose vital information by allowing a compromise to proceed successfully and then attempting to discover what happened.

This may be a question for the honey pots group or the pen testing group but I would like as many opinions as possible.

Thank you in advance.

rmj
--

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html