Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ARP spoofing attacks

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:47:43 -0700

  The short, sharp, general answer is that you can't.
Layer two security measures are going to see a packet
(it happens to be an ARP reply) from the miscreant's
port, but since its source MAC address is what they
expect, they'll let it through.  Layer three measures
won't see it either, because it's a unicast within the
same vlan/subnet and so never needs to hit a layer 3
device.

  About all you can do proactively, if this is a serious
concern, is add a static ARP table entry to every host
so they never need to send out an ARP request for the
gateway.

David Gillett