Security Basics mailing list archives

HIPAA_Compliance

From: "paralleluniverse" <paralleluniverse () ev1 net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:52:27 -0700

Many thanks for all the good advice re: HIPAA encryption solutions.
Thanks for the tip suggesting I take a look at Kryptiq and Sigaba.
The firms that I am dealing with are small (30 machines, or so, or less) and
many are
non-profit. The conversion to a secure environment, for many of them, is
sorta new.
Often just "getting all the stuff to work" was sufficient. Costs are an
issue. This
march to security will take place in stages and the suggestion that a
modular
approach be taken, I think, is a good one. You need to meet, but not exceed,
the
requirements of the privacy and security rules. Spending money now that you
might
have to spend all over again as the stages proceed should be, if possible,
avoided.
Now that security has been placed in everyone's mind, it will be required in
each
new upgrade.
One of the steps that will allow Health care professional and their clients
communicate by e-mail will be the ability of the HCP to encrypt, when
necessary, that
e-mail. Expecting clients to install their end of the encryption scheme is
asking a lot.
I have been trying encryption programs that offer password protected
encryption.
The client needs only the password to un-encrypt the e-mail. This would seem
"meet, but not exceed" the requirements and be an easy, inexpensive
solution. Has
any one been using this type of program?

Ron Cohen
FUNEN
Parallel Universe

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html