Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: hidden tasks

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:49:23 -0700 (PDT)

Roland,

Thanks a lot for your answers, Harlan, Eric, Roger
and Jim.

Glad I could help.

Regarding the second question the answer is often to
easy: Check the task
manager, look into the registry for the autorun
hives....(check the answers
for "Hard Drive keeps filling up")

I used to teach an IR course for Windows
systems...checking the Task Manager is not necessarily
that good of a response.  Also, there really aren't
any "autorun hives"...rather there are keys that will
autorun programs.  Sorry to be a stickler for
terminology, but it's important to be clear and
correct, particularly when dealing with an incident.

I think a good programmer can mask his program as if
it would be a MS
program. So you see it in a real task manager (the
NT task manager does not
show all tasks) but you think it is a normal MS
program.

It doesn't take a "good programmer".  Anyone can do
this.  There are worms and backdoors that hide as
'svchost.exe', and from the Task Manager, one cannot
tell the difference between the one in the correct
location (ie, %WINDIR%\system32) and one in another
location.

About the autorun: Even when all autostartup places
in the registry are
empty, we still have a lot  of tasks running. So
would it not be possible
that a process is started like this system processes
without having an entry
in the autostart places in the registry?

Again, terminology is important.  What are you
referring to?  Are you talking about services keys?

How difficult is it to replace the kernel with a
kernel that is doing the
same but additionally also collects all typing and
send it to the internet one time a month.

Replace the kernel?  Maybe patch, but replace?  I
would think that such a thing would be exceedingly
difficult, and if it were possible, it would likely be
perpetrated by someone with loftier goals in mind than
attacking your site (no offense).

Or a Kernel driver or user driver.

This is what a rootkit does.

The problem with images or MD5 hash checker or Black
Ice Defender or Windows
File Protection (WFP) is that you have to update
them after each system
update. This is to difficult for the normal user.
There are also workarounds
for e.g. WFP: The WFP runs on the system itself so a
user with control over
the system can make easy an own update of the WFP...

I think you need to take a closer look at WFP.  Yes,
it can be modified to include other files under it's
protection, but again...rather than making assumptions
about the service, take a look on the MS site.  It's
very easy to find info on WFP.

To be very honest, my impression of this exchange is
that you're very, very paranoid.  While a small amount
of paranoia is healthy, you're not balancing it with
knowledge.  Yes, a lot of what you describe *could*
happen, but many of the things you're thinking about
are not likely to happen.  Some of what you describe
(ie, replacing the kernel) are a bit more difficult
than you may suspect.

Hope this helps in some way,

Harlan