Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Can't Change Passwords at WinXP Pro machines in a W2k AD Domain

From: Flávio Pereira <fpereirabr () yahoo com br>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 19:38:36 -0300 (ART)

   Hello for all,
   Check if there is a Group Policy of minimal time to
change passwords, because this policy determine how
much time of life before to be changed.

 --- Patricia Viana <patricia.sa.viana () terra com br>
escreveu: > Hi.

I'm the network administrator for a medium sized
company and we have a
Win2k AD Domain. Our client computers runs Win2000
Pro and WinXP Pro.

I would like to know if anyone could help me out
with this:
      . Users can't change their password on any of the
XP machines;
      . Administrators can't change their password on any
of the XP
machines!
      . I can only change passwords for WinXP local SAM
users !!
      . The error message is something like this:  "You
don't have
sufficient privilege to change your password at the
moment".
      . The same users and administrators are able to
change their
password on any Win2000 Pro machines.

Hope someone has lived trought this or can have a
clue on what is going
on here.

Best Regards,
Patricia Viana.

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port
Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment
Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm

=====

Flávio Pereira

ICQ 62382441

flavio_it () hotmail com (MSN)

fpereirabr () yahoo com br

Cel.: 9730-6277

Desafio AntiZona: participe do jogo de perguntas e respostas que vai
dar um Renault Clio, computadores, câmeras digitais, videogames e muito
mais! www.cade.com.br/antizona