Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: automatic update on Mac OS X

From: Martin Brecher <listuser () mb-itconsulting com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 03:46:03 +0200

> Something along the lines of Microsoft's Software Update Services (SUS) is > needed for Macs. SUS solves some of the problems with Automatic Updates in
> Windows by allowing the administrator to choose what patches to deploy.

Well, using the unix shell and scripting means that Mac OS X has to offer, you could create a very flexible, yet quite simple solution yourself.

For example, you can have a list for each group of computers on a central server and have the clients retrieve the appropriate list and install the patches. You could kind of extend security with gnupg: signing the lists with a private key and have the clients check the integrity and source of the list before attempting an update. If you plan on running the softwareupdate in the background during work hours, put together a simple cocoa application that informs the user of the running process and tells the user when to reboot the machine (if necessary). (Maybe you can do that with AppleTalk, since a simple informational dialog should be sufficient.) For the management side, putting together a small web based patch-list management system with php shouldn't be that hard either. Your possibilities with unix are close to infinite. - And the community will gladly assist you in attempting them.

I hope you find my ideas helpful and possibly inspiring.

Greetings,
Martin Brecher

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training), October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier technical IT security event. Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors. Symantec is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com