Security Basics mailing list archives

ssh tunnelling

From: "Kampanellis John" <ikampa () softlab ntua gr>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:09:28 +0300

Hi!

I am about to write the security policy of a media group as part of my
intersnhip.
Among other things I want to check their actuall security.
The group uses websense and packetshape. The first to prevent users  from
visiting restricted sites and the second to "cut" applications such as
ICQ,P2P etc.

I thought that a good idea would be to create a SSH tunnel with the outside
world and try to pass the traffic trough the tunnel, and check if that
enables me (or any user)  to bypass the filters mentionned above in order to
use and visit restricted programmes and web sites respectevily.

I try to do port forwarding :

ssh2 -L 8000:local_host_IP:50000 username@remotehost

then I am not so sure what to do. For IE I declare as proxy my IP with port
8000 (for the example above). I did the same thing with msn. However, it
doesn't seems to work.

Any ideas?
Thnx

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm