Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hiding IP in E-Mail..

From: chort <chort () amaunetsgothique com>
Date: 02 Sep 2003 10:25:42 -0700

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 14:48, Mike Smith wrote:
And did anyone actually try a traceroute to "snow.email.ne.jp".....I
couldn't find it anywhere - but I didn't try that hard to locate it.
My 2 cents, he's on the spam-gang fast-track.
And we *will* come for him in the night....

Well, generally I'm skeptical, but this domain has been registered for a
while and the parent has been around since '97.  A simple traceroute
won't be very informative, trying using whois and dig.  Just because a
domain does not have an A record doesn't mean there's no MX (how else
would they get mail?).

Let's not start seeing spammers behind every rock and tree...

--
Brian Keefer

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor.  Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com