Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: arpwatch

From: "ted koenig" <tkoenig () lf-mail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:43:19 -0400

I would think the only real purpose of doing arpwatch is to prevent apr, arp
poison routing, and on a network of any major size/traffic volume you will
notice a significant slowdown if somebody is up to that.  Basically it
effectively turns a switched network into a hubbed one by making everyone
route through one machine, so that guy can sniff stuff out.   For the most
part, switches hamper the average sniffer.

Ted Koenig
LaFrance Corp.
Network Administrator