Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Need help from a group of experts. I am not a network expert but I play one on tv.

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <rogerg () cox net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:05:48 -0400

Randy,

1.  Don't worry about the SubSeven attacks.  They are random, occur
everywhere, and are not successful.  You'll spend much more effort trying to
discover who is scanning than it is worth.  In many cases, if you were to
expend the effort and track down the computer, it would lead to an innocent
person's computer that is compromised.  Believe me, not worth the time.

2.  No, preventing file attachments alone won't stop all email attacks.  It
is easy to embed malicious HTML code (scripts, links, etc.) into an email.
To prevent email attacks, block file attacks and make sure all email is
plain text only (disable all active content and HTML coding).

3.  Yes and no.  Some programs exist that would track the hacker back...but
again, many times the hacker has just compromised some other person's
computer and is using that computer to do the hacking.  Unless that computer
has tracking software enabled or you have a search warrant and lots of free
time to do research and pour over router logs, you aren't going to find out
the culprit.  It is not legal hack back the hacker.

4.  Sonicwall is a good firewall...but any firewall depends on how well you
have it configured.  And a firewall is only one step in your computer
defense plan.  You must also:
1.  Keep patches up to date.
2.  Use AV software.
3.  Make sure OS has tightened security permissions.
4.  Secure email.
5.  Educate your employees and keep them off bad sites and from opening bad
emails.

There are several free vulnerability analyzers that will test your firewall
defenses, including the popular (but not very extensive) testing of Gibson's
Shields Up test site (www.grc.com).

Roger

*Roger A. Grimes, Computer Security Consultant
*CPA, MCSE (NT/2000), CNE (3/4), A+
*email: rogerg () cox net
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode/
*Author of Apress's upcoming Honeypots for Windows