Security Basics mailing list archives

AW: Windows Server 2003

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:04:46 +0100

If anyone knows of a system that is secure out of the box, let us know right
away. Otherwise we will continue assuming that it is an impossibility. So,
as long as that notion of 'automatic no-work security' is gone, i am quite
happy with the machine i'm working with right now and testing in a metaframe
xp environment.

Everything is off, and you have to select to install pretty much any
service. As far as the nmap output you provided chris wanstrath, considering
everything you have on the machine, you don't need to be suprised. I nmapped
my machine right away before i did anything to it, and i'm pretty sure there
nothing more than windows file sharing open, which is to be expected on the
*non* web-server version.

By the way, I really like the shutdown feature that you have to explain why
the machine is going down. If you are working in a shop where the machine
doesn't belong to you alone, then it's nice to know why the guy who went on
vacation last week was booting the box 20 times a day. (assuming he doesn't
write that it was because of qwertz)

In general, i have to say that i like the 2003 server a whole lot, it's hard
to describe, but a lot of the things that always annoyed me on the 2000
server seem to be just gone. It's a really nice system* considering that
it's windoze.

*not that i'm going to abandon my linux machines anytime soon for it.

Chris Meidinger

badenIT GmbH
System Support

Tel. +49 761 279 2280