Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to sniffer the packages from one computer to another?

From: "James Fields" <jvfields () tds net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 19:26:14 -0400

You want to intercept the "packages" (I hope you mean packets) and alter
them before they arrive at the destination computer?  Simply sniffing will
not do the trick - the point of sniffing is not to divert the packets but to
capture a copy of them and usually does not involve putting yourself into
the path as one of the actual "hops" between devices.

There are some methods of doing this - Ettercap and some other programs will
allow you to actually trick the network into diverting packets to your
machine and letting you forward them after you have seen them.  However I do
not know if those tools allow you to alter the packets in any significant
way.

We often see messages on this list that sound like people are asking for
help with actual hacking, although it is frequently the case that people
just want to learn more to secure their own networks.  I think if you are
going to ask a question like this and expect a more in depth answer, it
would be a good idea to give us some background regarding your
purpose...intentionally diverting and altering network traffic is not
something a security engineer would usually be interested in doing.