Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: preparation work for RHCE

From: "Steve Bremer" <steveb () nebcoinc com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:16:48 -0500

Hi,

is there anyone with RHCE cert. i thinking to take the RHCE exam. i
I have one.

for each exam, what is the scope of exam? Any example of the exam
question where we can pratise with.

I believe just about anything that comes with RH Linux can be on the
exam.  I took it around the RH 7.2 time period, but I now believe
their trying to gear it more towards RH Enterprise products: AS, ES,
& WS.

any good book to introduce for study? or tip for passing the exam

I found that the manuals that came with RH Linux were quite helpful
in studying for the exam.  Most of the RHCE study books available at
the time weren't up-to-date with the latest version of RH Linux.
However, the dated information is still useful if it's correct.

The book I was using tended to conflict with itself, so I lost faith
in it quite quickly.  In my opinion, the example questions weren't
very good either.  That's part of reason why I started using Red
Hat's documentation.

I wrote a study guide for myself while I was studying for the exam.
You can view it at: http://www.rhce2b.com/clublinux/RHCE.shtml.  It's
based around RH 7.2, but a good part of the material is still
relevant.

There is a newer version available containing a few corrections on my
website.  You can find the link to it in the study guide.  However,
the web server that currently houses the latest version is down right
now.  I'll try to put it back up tonight so you can take a look at
it.  Typical, the first time the machine has been down in ages, and
now it's needed ;-)

Steve Bremer
NEBCO, Inc.
System & Security Administrator

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm