Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password audit dictionary

From: Birl <sbirl () temple edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:42:57 -0400 (EDT)

As it was written on Sep 5, thus Louie typed:

Louie:  Well that's cool, how could I look at
Louie:  the words you have in there? Plus would
Louie:  I be able to open the file in windows?
Louie:
Louie:  If you have any type of tutorial on how
Louie:  to use the file let me know.

[snip extraneous crap]

Q: Can you open the file in Windows?

A: Yes, but why?!?
   I can tell you that quite a number of those characters are invisible.
   It's a 2 GB file.  Dont even try to use (Note|Word)Pad to open it.
   Your best bet is to use Cywin's less

Q: A tutorial on how to use that file?

A: 1) Download file.  Let the file take up room on hard drive.
      Stare a file every now and again.
Or 2) Find a 3rd party password cracker for Windows that can handle a 2 GB
      file as input.
      I would not recommend GFI Languard.  It tries to read the whole file
      into memory.  :p  Then it chokes and dies.

 Scott Birl                              http://concept.temple.edu/sysadmin/
 Senior Systems Administrator            Computer Services   Temple University

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm