Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [ISN] Majordomo Could Mean Major Spam

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:13:37 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Jay Woody wrote:

Seems like every other week, someone sends a note to a list I am on that
says, "I don't use this account for anything but lists and now it is
getting spam."  This may be why.  If you are running a list using
majordomo, here is some info you may want to be aware of.

Fortunately we don't use majordomo here at SecurityFocus. We also fudge
email addresses in our mailing list archives
(www.securityfocus.com/archive) as of a couple of months ago, in order to
fool the spambot spiders. Before we started filtering SoBig.F, this list
was receiving up to a thousand pieces of SoBig spam a day. Ah, the joys of
being a moderator. :)

I hope the only spam you receive from our lists now are the Out of Office
notifications when you post messages... I always remove the offending
users from the list when I receive these, but it's a persistant,
never-ending task.

Regards,
-- Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com> Moderator Security-Basics

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm