Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ICMP (Ping)

From: Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>
Date: 08 Sep 2003 10:56:42 -0700

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 09:38, Chris Ess wrote:
Okay.  We've probably gotten slightly off-topic, but I figured I'd throw
my two copper pieces in anyway.  I'll provide one example for why blocking
pings might be a good idea...  and one where it doesn't matter if you
block them or not.  However, I'm no expert.

* Saved by blocking pings: nmap

Yes, nmap.  Everyone on this list has used nmap or is hopefully familiar
with what it does.  For those of you who don't know, nmap is a
portscanning utility.

The first thing nmap appears to do before it actually runs a scan is ping
the host.  If it cannot ping the host, it returns:

Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -P0

This is a fair point, and I don't disagree with it.  As I said, this
method can be used, and it depends on the tool.  There's no reason to
use nmap, etc., when you can just have a script connect to port 80 or 25
on an IP and see if there's a response.

Most of this discussion encompasses the tools used, as with pretty much
any debate about what will help or not.  No doubt lots of people use the
above method, but many do not.  I certainly agree it may cut down on the
noise, but my experience has been little to none.
--
Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm