Security Basics mailing list archives

Interesting sniffer packet

From: JGrimshaw () ASAP com
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:44:20 -0600

Hi All,

Has anyone seen this?  I am not sure what to make of it.

The source address is 00:00:01:01:01:01 and the destination address is
00:00:FF:FF:FF:FF.

The byte count is 504, and I'm getting about 50k per second of this on
just about every vlan I have.  Interestingly enough, my traffic has not
been affected by it.

The packet analysis suggests it's an 802.3 LLC packet  and it has a mostly
non-changing packet number of 2863311531.  I captured traffic for an hour
and 99% of these "fluff" packets were that packet number.

I monitored port activity and there isn't anything that bursting at 50k
for very long--anything with big amounts of traffic seem normal (like a
router, file and print, etc).

It's not causing a problem, but it is something that I none of us here
have seen.  Since it's on all vlans (and no ports are acting funny), I'm
at a loss as to what could be generating it.    Does anyone have any
ideas?

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027