Security Basics mailing list archives

Error message with Group Policy

From: "Di Fresco Marco" <superdif () caltanet it>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:55:36 -0700

Hi all,
I got a new computer and after install all the software and made
almost all the configuration, when I tried to modify the security
policies (with either secpol.msc or gpedit.msc) I get the following
error message:

--
The group Policy security setting that apply ti this machine could
not be detemined. The error returned whe trying to retreive these

All local security settings will be displayed, but no indication will
be
given as to whetever or not a given security setting is defined by
Group
Policy.
Any local security setting modified throufg this User Interface my
subsequently be overriden by domain-level policies.
--

My computer is standalone (like the majority of home PC) so it should
not get any domain-level policies or stuff like that and it should

I do not if it is useful, but here is what I have done in the last
few days (I know I done a mess, but I had no choice):
- - I got the new computer with WinXP Home;
- - I installed WinXP Pro with format of hard drive;
- - Due to some problem with the audio card drivers (basicly I had no
driver to install), I reinstalled WinXP Home with a Recovery CD in
soft mode (that mean it restores the files without erasing the HD,
but instead by overwritting);
- - I reinstalled WinXP Pro. in upgrade mode (without format the HD).

Do you know any way how can I solve it?

Thank in advance.

Di Fresco Marco
ICQ #51985192
http://home.comcast.net/~superdif/

| Spock (Court Martial - TOS): If I let go a hammer on a planet |
| having a positive gravity, I need not see it fall to know that        |
| it has, in fact fallen.                                                       |

Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about
network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes? Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new
network analysis tool that
makes the complex - easy
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021