Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: A reminder that security is not inherently solvable with tech nology

From: Randy Golly <rcgolly () vermeertexas com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:49:47 -0500

YES!  I haven't been a big fan of offshore developers working on sensitive
domestic (US) projects.  I'm all for globalization of production and taking
advantage of the economies of scale that lower cost labor provides, it does
benefit consumers and the economies of countries involved.  But I do think
that the security risks involved with this type of software development or
support need to be further addressed and defined.  In this article, many of
the people involved had no idea that it was going offshore.  That leads me
to wonder who does know what is being done in this manner.  Do you suppose
there is any sensitive govt. work or national security projects being done
in Pakistan as in this story? Does anyone really know? What kind of
perception do these developers have of the US with the events of the last
few years as we tromp around the Mideast? Who else might be getting copies
of their work?  What is the chance of back-doors being dropped into code to
open our systems to potential cyber-terrorists?  I know much has been
written about cyber-terrorism since 9/11, and now I'm reading that some are
saying that nothing has happened along these lines and it was never a
threat, (liberal speak?).  But I do think this is a risk that is real and
giving them opportunities to get their hands on our systems or our code is
an open invitation in my book.

Thanks for the space to ramble...
Randy Golly