Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: client firewall recommendations

From: "HOULE, FRANCIS" <francis.houle () bell ca>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:03:45 -0400

You must also consider performance issues.  Like the maximum number of
sessions, throughput, number of user that can be behind it...  A linksys
only provide 512 simultaneous sessions.  It is fairly easy to kill the
box with a peak of traffic generating a lot of new sessions.  Let me
tell you that the cable modem is enough to generate suffisient number of
session to kill a linksys and/or dlink SOHO boxe.

I would recommand either a PIX 501 or Netscreen.  PIX has a nice JAVA
GUI if you're not excited in command line.  It works fine, altough some
commands are still not supported.  Netscreen is also very nice.  It has
a Very nice and intuitive WEBUI.  It's has all the granularity of a PIX
or checkpoint and even more.  A lot of nice features are available and
no major bugs are knows.  A good support group and developer are working
very hard to provide a stable and scalable image for the several boxes.
(www.netscreen.com).

Hope it helps you choose the good solution.

--
Francis Houle