Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Desktop Support Access

From: "Tim Syratt" <tim () syratt com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:59:19 +1000

Hi Thomas,

I have one further suggestion that might help you, its a bit of work but
also worth a try if your compromising productivity over security.

If you have any programmers at your disposal, write a PHP solution to your
problem, making use of SSL and a secure OS (linux etc).. Make sure the
solution requires desk top support members to 'log in', and use SNMP to
read/write data to the switches. Make use of SQL or similar to log
login/logouts, and a log of who changed what.. because you can be sure that
you'll eventually come to a situation where someone changed something and no
one will own up, and you'll have management breathing down your neck for
answers ;-) - it also gives you the security in knowing that you can still
control the control that others have.

All the best,
Tim