Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Alternatives to sftp?

From: Ranjeet Shetye <ranjeet.shetye2 () zultys com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:02:01 -0700

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 09:27, Thorne wrote:
Well another way to do it is. SCP or Rsync over SSH. I personaly use Rsync of
SSH for my backup's at my office. Scp is nice if its a single file you can
use keys if you need to automate it . I can sustained 4000K a sec across my
lan with SCP, For a 10mb file it would not be that big of a issue speed wise
i would think 3 seoncds ?

trivial and you probably know it, but scp takes the -r flag (for
recursive) that lets you copy directories. Also you can specify multiple
files or directories on the command line and only the last one is
considered a target - just like regular cp.

Bill

------
--

Ranjeet Shetye
Senior Software Engineer

The views, opinions, and judgements expressed in this message are solely
those of the author. The message contents have not been reviewed or
approved by Zultys.

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015