Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: All-in-One device for authentication and encryption

From: Eric Hagen <eric () sandpile net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:32:55 -0500

The software-only solution that comes to mind is Kerberos. It can be used to initiate encryption as well as to authenticate users and requires just a simple client on each user's PC to be installed.

Sure, it's just based off a password ("something you know") and will never be as secure as a smart card ("something you have") + password implementation, but would provide a uniform means of authentication/encryption.

Eric Hagen

Jennifer Fountain wrote:

The powers to be want me to research an all-in-one device that can be
used for data encryption and password authentication. Authentication for
windows 2000, websites and vpn devices (such as Cisco) and file
encryption. Is there such an animal?  Can smart cards do it all (if the
device is smart card compatible - I suppose)  Is there a device that can
plug into a usb port?
I have been looking into securid, smart cards, efs, etc but this isn't
good enough.  It's budgeting time and they want a consolidated solution
that will save money.  God help me.

Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated

Thank you
Jennifer Fountain

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015