Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: POP/SMTP Proxy

From: "Mike" <mike () coenholdings ie>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:40:48 +0100

I have been using a combination of Mail Marshal and Sophos AV for the
past couple of years and have found it to be extremely reliable and
versatile, not to mention that on the few occasions when we have had
problems/queries the support people have been very helpful.
As a one man band one of the major attractions for me is the lack of
maintenance required (I do have real work to do) the system can be
programmed to send you an email whenever anything happens which means
that long before your users suspect you have a problem you can have it
fixed. Sophos is integrated with Mail Marshal via a .dll interface and
downloads the AV updates to my mail server on an hourly basis (as new
IDE's become available) these are also pushed out to our desktops using
the same method. Marshal also allows you to filter email by content,
spam filters, remove or quarantine mail with unwanted attachment types
(very useful for those humorous video files my users friends seem so
intent on sending in and a feature that has on more than one occasion
saved us when we have received a new virus in the hours before an IDE is
available).
An added advantage of this system is the reporting which reports on
everything (useful for pointing out why users x,y and z should possibly
spend more time working and less time sending each other joke emails and
for justifying the small amount of time you will spend administering the
system to management). If you have any queries I will be happy to answer
them, or refer you to someone who can.
Our remote users can either dial up our network via a modem, or some
have their own email addresses remoteuser () someisp com and a simple
Marshal rule forwards the mail on to their external account after
scanning for viruses and content whichever is more convenient for them.

P.S. I don't work for Marshal it just sounds like it

Regards
Mike Molloy
IT Supervisor