Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: NASA Security Audit

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <rogerg () cox net>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:36:01 -0400

Gregory,

Assume the worst and prepare for the worst.  Assume he will get to your MS
boxes, past your firewalls and past your IDS.

I'm not sure what type of testing he will be doing, but if you're worried
about your MS boxes, go back to the basics.  Get the NSA and Microsoft
security configuration guides, learn about security templates, MBSA, etc.
Are you fully patched, have you applied basic security recommendations?  How
is your AV coverage?  Are people trained against social engineering attacks?

It's usually the basics that will fail you, not the odd reg hack that stops
some strange attack.  People are so busy preparing for the really new
hi-tech attack, that the pen tester sneaks in on a poorly password protected
share.  Turn off anonymous enumeration while your at it (after testing
consequences, of course).

Good luck.

Remember, unless your employer hates you, it should be a learning experience
that benefits everyone.  But don't let the basics (weak passwords,
unprotected shares, poor security permissions, etc.) make you look new.

Roger

****
*Roger A. Grimes, Computer Security Consultant
*CPA, MCSE (NT/2000), CNE (3/4), A+
*email: rogerg () cox net
*cell: 757-615-3355
*Author of Malicious Mobile Code:  Virus Protection for Windows by O'Reilly
*http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/malmobcode
*Author of upcoming Honeypots for Windows (Apress)
*****