Security Basics mailing list archives

Integrit problem with database on CD

From: red temptation <red_temptation2003 () yahoo de>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:45:44 +0200 (CEST)

hello,

I installed the host intrusion detection system
"integrit" a few days ago, and it's working pretty
well. To improve security, I want to burn the config
file and the database on a readonly CD.

But here is the problem. If I use the files on the CD
for a check, integrit tells me, all files on my system
are new!! The database is exactly the same size as the
original database on my hard disk. When I try integrit
again with the database on the harddisk, it shows only
a few files have changed (which I know they did). So
it works with the original database.

Why doesn't it work to burn the Database on CD, and
use it from there? I copied the 2 files integrit.conf
and known.cdb on the disk. It also doesn't work when I
copy the database from cdrom back to the harddisk and
use it there.

I exportet the database with samba and burned it on a
WinXP Machine. is it possible that I lost something
there? The only differences I can see, are the
permissions on the database (which are increased on
the cdrom, so no problem there). I also verified, that
the path to the database file in the integrít conf
points to /cdrom/known.cdb . The current database
current.cdb is used from the harddisk.

OS is Debian Woody.

thxalot,

Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de