Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Creating file on login

From: Vishal <dhrakol () myrealbox com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:33:54 -0500

Hi Fausto

F>     I have a system that when one try to login it create a file with the
F> name of the user that tried to log.
F>     The problem is that if the do not exists the system creates the file
F> with the invalid user...
F>     Can we do some exploit in this case...??
F>     Is this problem dangerous...
F>     Fausto Catvalho

Many questions spring to mind. To start with:

1. What kind of system is it?
2. What kind of file is created? text/binary..what format?
3. Where is it created?
4. What are the default access controls on this particular location? And on the file
itself?
5. Is the system connected to a network? What kind of network? Who can access
this system?

This problem could have many many answers depending on context...

Cheers,

--
Vishal