Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Samba

From: Brad Arlt <arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:40:12 -0700

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:16:42PM +0000, Jack Solomon wrote:
what are the security concerns over Samba?  Someone told me that its
a real bad idea security-wise but noone can tell me why...

Uhh... I'd imagine the samba team would argue otherwise :)

If you need CIFS shares or SMB/SPOOLSS printing, I don't see how Samba
is worse the Windows NT/2000/2003.  You can at least chroot jail
Samba...

If you need a high degree of security you shouldn't use network
filesharing.  Not CODA, AFS, NFS, or CIFS.  Network filesharing is
very convinient and the forced convinience has led to some complexity
of code that invariably results in bugs.

Configure Samba proberly, and ensure you are running the latest bug
corrected version, and you should be alright.
   __o          Bradley Arlt                    Security Team Lead
 _ \<_          arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca                University Of Calgary
(_)/(_)         Joyously Canadian               Computer Science